NEW BLOG ADDRESS

By the end of Sunday May 4th, I will be switching my blog hosting from Blogger to Wordpress. My new blog address will be:


If you read this through a feedreader or email subscription, those subscriptions will be transferred over to the new blog. If you bookmark this blog or blogroll it, please update your listings.

Wednesday, April 23

Mid-week Recommended Reading

Check these out!


Via feministing, this really great quote by actress Michelle Rodriguez:

her awesome response to repeated prying questions from journalists about whether she's secretly into girls. She explains:

“I picture [the journalists] turning into pigs, slime coming out the side of their mouth, and I picture them jerking off. I don't answer those questions.

“I just keep it to myself and it's nobody's business. If I wanna f**k a girl, a boy, a dog, that's my business. That's why there's bathroom doors."

She adds: "What the majority of (people) want to know is what I'm doing with my vagina, and I think that that's sick.

WORD.

On male and female leads in the top-billed movies.

Nice article from angry black woman POC and the politics of medical research. Unfortunately, this topic is still relevant.

Horrors! Every man just can't buy a Russian female sex-slave, er, bride, like they used to. Those women are actually having the nerve to be choosy who they'll "let buy" them!

From feministing on the new book, My Beautiful Mommy, that helps explain to kids the miracle of "the mommy job" plastic surgery procedures.

And for humor's sake, because with a nauseating book like that, you need a bit of comic relief, from Mikhaela at The Boiling Point:

Women don't speak up article from Feministe.
So no, women often don’t speak up — sometimes because we’re punished for it, and sometimes because we know full well that people aren’t listening. And when women are trained to understand that we just aren’t taken all that seriously, we doubt ourselves — and then we silence ourselves even more.
From Racialicious, and excellent Notes on Fostering Activism
For someone to say “We want to publish more women of color”, it implies that they have done their part. Have they created a safe space for women of color? Do they have their business sense together so they can provide the appropriate services to women of color (i.e. quality)? Do they speak to women of color in a respectful way? Do they allow women of color to speak for themselves, to tell their own stories their own way? Do they seek out promising talent and approach those women of color with a reasonable offer?
On Shaving, from Suzanne Reisman at Blogher and CUSS

My Fat Body from Jill @ One Girl Army. And a promo for this blog-I think it's great! It's a group blog project for young women age 10-25. Really terrific stuff!

0 Comments: