NEW BLOG ADDRESS

By the end of Sunday May 4th, I will be switching my blog hosting from Blogger to Wordpress. My new blog address will be:


If you read this through a feedreader or email subscription, those subscriptions will be transferred over to the new blog. If you bookmark this blog or blogroll it, please update your listings.

Friday, March 14

Helen Mirren needs to speak to a larger crowd!

Actress Helen Mirren gets my "that is so true!" of the day. Maybe even of the month. I think what she says needs to be heard by all age ranges, serving a different purpose for each. And it's also something that both women and men alike need to hear and really consider. Which is why I wish this quote wasn't from More, a magazine geared toward 40+ year-old women.

Which is also why I want to quote some right here because it's too good not to share.

I tried to find the article online, but it's not available. I will try to buy a copy and post more of the interview if I can. For now, here's the snippet Jezebel quotes, 'cause that's all I have!

Mirren talked about how fabulous it is to get older and how she is trying to avoid the "sexy" label: I'm still trying to wriggle out from under that label. [...] Being a sexual object is mortifying and irritating, yet it's giving you power--an awful power that you've done nothing to deserve, a powerless power. I think some young women fall in love with that power, and it's really objectifying. And when it starts falling away, it's an incredible relief.

Right on! And it's unfortunate that this is the way we understand "sexy" in our Celebritocracy. Because nothing's sexier than a kick-ass woman like this-I'm taking sexy back, and saying this woman's one of the sexiest I've seen-heard* in a long time.


*because truly "sexy" is both seen and heard. I think I should trademark that.


(NOTE: nothing more after the jump.)

0 Comments: